Work continues on Elsa’s outfit. I began sculpting her cool snowflake-y shoes! It doesn’t look like much yet, but I’m confident that it will I was going to sculpt a left and a right shoe, but we’ll see how tough it is to get the snowflake shape. I want the two of them to match obviously, so I might just sculpt one and cast it twice. It may turn out that I won’t be able to get all the detail in a sculpt and if that happens i can probably use a textile for the snowflake upper instead of the sculpting clay. Anyway, it’s a start!
Next, her attached cape, capelet as I like to call it. The piece I’m trying to emulate is very diaphanous and very sheer with sparkly snowflakes all over it. The challenge is finding a really sheer fabric that drapes nicely and can have glitter snowflakes painted on it. I know just the thing…..
Mesh! I’ve got the glue, I’ve got the glitter and now I have the mesh too. I chose a pale blue mesh. Let’s see how the glitter and glue works out!
Well, the glitter type glue is pretty thick, so not really conducive to fine lines and these snowflakes need to be pretty small in some cases, so hmmm.
It looks clumsy and messy. This won’t work for me. I thought maybe if I thin the glue I can get narrower, neater lines.
You can see in the above pic that the smaller snowflakes are finer looking but they would likely have t get glue painted and glittered twice. The problem that I see is that they still seem a little big and the weave of the mesh is getting in the way of the snowflake shape. I need more of a base for the glue and then the glitter to sit on.
So, I went back to my fabric store and came back with with some pale blue organza and some stretchy white mesh and blue fabric dye. The transparency and shimmer are right with the organza although the drape is not as fluid as I would like. The stretch mesh has great drape, but is the wrong colour and I might run into the same weave issue that I had with the mesh net. The last option would be a fine chiffon in a very pale blue, but they didn’t have anything the right colour at my local haunt. I will test the glitter paint with the organza, but if the drape disappoints I might have to go further afield for the right chiffon. I think the stretch mesh is probably off the table. Into the stash it goes for some other future project!
Here’s the shape of the cape. My starting point. The shape is little tough to discern because the capelet looks different in different scenes. When it is created for example, it’s really and I mean really long. Later in the film it seems quite a bit shorter. Ah the magic of Hollywood!
Here’s the organza overtop of the pattern template. I will use the template to decide the placement and size etc, of the snowflakes.
Not bad, but needs a little more acreage and refinement of shape…..
So I’ve played around with the placement and size of snowflakes and started cutting them out to use as a stencil. Still trying to decide between glitter paint, or glue and glitter. I’ll do some testing and make a decision
That’s all for this post. Next time more shoes and finishing the cape, I hope!
Thanks for reading,