Hi dolly folks! I’ve almost completed this little lady. The last thing that I’m working on are the shoes.
Ahh the shoes…. I’ve waxed poetic (and not so poetic, ha ha) about doll shoes. Doll shoes must be the most tiny and complicated little things to make from scratch. The only other thing that is as difficult might be teeny tiny lingerie with lots of lace and bows and rings and clips and lord only knows what else, but I digress….. again.
Shoes…. these little wee shoes really want to be satin winklepickers. Pointy toes, kitten heels, you know, in a word, fabulous! It’s difficult to make fabulous on such a small scale, but I’m sure going to try!
I have found a great little satin/taffeta to use for them. I intend to make a base that I will them cover with the satin.
But wait, let’s back up a little! I want to show you the bouquet :o)
It’s a little hard to tell from the original pic, but we think the bouquet is made up of tight bud roses in white and blush pink. They’re really quite small, so ready made flowers aren’t going to work. They’re just not small and fine enough. They would dwarf the whole look. So I pondered some other possibilities, like beaded flowers, nah, Chinese knotwork possibly? Couldn’t get those to look flowery enough. I finally settled on ribbon roses. I did a little research and from what I see most ribbon roses are fashioned on a backing of some sort. I’m not using backing so hopefully I can figure out how to make good looking loose, free wheeling ribbon rose!
Here’s how that went…
Some rosettes are more equal than others, lol! A few of those less equal ones wound up in the bin!
It’s soooo teeny! Looks a bit like a flower though I think!
A few more….
It’s beginning to look like a bouquet :o) Then I added a few little bits of knotted stranded cotton in pale green and a few loose strands as well. Then a little gathered fine nylon and poof! a bouquet!
I used a little floral wire for a hand hold for the bride and wrapped that in more pale green stranded cotton so it wouldn’t scratch the doll and anyway, it looks nicer.
Time for just a little hand blushing so they’re not so stark white….
How romantic! sigh….
All right enough of that! Now on to the doll herself. I’ve added some lashes just to fill in a bit. She had a bare spot or two, but not anymore!
Then I beefed up her blush and her blue eyeshadow a little…
I did a test fit with her long fall and styled the rooted hair overtop of the hair band and it looks great! Pictures of that next time :o)
And on with the satin winklepickers! I am using watercolour paper for the shoe forms. I find this works well because first of all, it’s archival. It won’t colour over time and show through the light satin and also I’m using a heavy enough paper that I can wet it and form it to the foot a little. Then I should have a good base to cover with my fabric. In theory anyway! Sometimes it works better than others! On such a small scale (these shoes are about a quarter of an inch long!) anything can go wrong, lol!
Here I’m just cutting out a template for the sole. It needs to be large enough to accommodate the stocking foot seams.
I’ve cut out some test shapes here. They’ll need some refining…
I have seamed a narrow strip of fabric to cover the paper forms….
I added just a little glue to keep things in place when I ultimately stitch. I’ve only used glue on the inside as it shows through this very delicate fabric.
Tiny clothes pins = indispensable mini clamps!
And that is where I’m at! Time to find something to do while my glue dries :o) Hmm I have a dress or two that just needs a little finishing. That should keep me out of trouble for a few minutes :o)
Shoe finishing and her earrings, hopefully later today and this little beauty is complete!
Thanks as always for reading. Have a wonderful day!