jane eyre

ooak Tonner Doll ~Jane Eyre!~ WIP 2

Progress has been made on my Jane Eyre doll project :o) This makes me very happy and I want to share some of the process here….

First off, Jane’s dress. Again this is modeled after the one worn by Zelah in the BBC TV version of the book. Here it is to refresh your memory :o)

And here’s my smaller version :o)

At this point the skirt and the bodice are not attached together. I had to decide on the right closures for this gown because the full sized gown has front closure for the bodice, but not for the skirt. I didn’t want to have a center front seam on the skirt and I didn’t want to disturb the lines on the back of the bodice…. so here’s what I came up with :o)

The skirt will cross over at the waist and snap closed and the bodice stays closed with hooks and thread loops. Decorative matte black bead buttons and a separate self belt complete and finish the look. She’ll have her brooch too when I’m finished :o)

Here’s a close up of the bodice……

With her dress all but done (I still have to hem her sleeves) I started on her hair style. I decided to do hair first and then her face up. When her hair is the way I want it, I’ll wrap her hair for protection while I paint her face. Again I will be emulating Zelah Clarke’s Jane Eyre look. The Melanie doll I’m using has the right colour hair, but of course it needs to be restyled into the bun, side sweeps and little braids.

I don’t often use character dolls, so the hair that I usually restyle is somewhat basic. This Melanie doll has a pretty sort of chignon. When I began to take it out it was interesting to see how it was secured at the factory.

It’s sewn and pinned and bound. I carefully removed the pins and the threads…..

And hey look, it’s a braid! Who knew? lol

When I took the braid out I was surprised to discover that the hair on the back of the dolls hair had already been removed!

Having styled dolls hair I have found that sometimes you have to remove some hair for the style to work. I guess they run into that at the factory too. I don’t know why I was surprised :o/ makes perfect sense if you think about it, lol! Even after the factory hair cut she still has quite a lot of hair!

Here is her hair from the front so far. The side sweeps are in place :o) The braids are done, they just need to secured in the back under the bun.

More to do, it’s still messy and Jane Eyre is, well, not. And of course her face up needs doing. That’s next! I’m excited to paint her!!It will have to wait until next time however :o)

Thanks for reading and have a great day!


Tags: , , , , , , , ,
Posted in awsumgal outfit, jane eyre, OOAK, Tonner, Uncategorized No Comments »

ooak Tonner Doll ~Jane Eyre!~ WIP 1

Good day doll folk! It’s time finally for Edward’s lady, the one and only Jane Eyre! I am still working with my mini Michael Jackson, but will works on these two projects simultaneously (I’ll be updating Mr Jackson tomorrow or the next day :o)

Jane, dear sensitive, plucky Jane will be realized through Tonner’s Melanie Hamilton doll. She is a petite body sculpt and her hair is the right colour. It’s already in a bun too, but I’m not sure whether or not that will be a help in the end. Zelah Carke’s, Jane Eyre bun is rather specific and I will want it to look just like that when I’m done. Firstly… here’s who I’m emulating….

Here’s the doll I’ll be transforming….

I think “Miss Melnie” will work out really nicely as Jane. I will be repainting her features of course. (Jane would not have worn that shade of lipstick, lol!) Au natural type face up for this little lady! Her eyes will be green :o)

The dress she’ll be wearing is the black one with the angled pleats in the bodice, the puffy sleeves and belt.  Here’s my sketch of what I’ll be making.

The angled pleats were the biggest challenge :o) So of course, that’s where I dove right in, lol!

I use a combination of draping and straight up drafting. That is to say, partly I work my pattern out on the doll and partly flat on the work surface. For the pleats I found it was easiest to fold my pattern paper the way I want the pleats to look. It most the most painless way to get the angle right :o)

After a few revisions and some paper in the bin, lol I had what I wanted…

I’ve left her chemise and pantaloons on, because she’ll be wearing them under her finished costume. Despite this, the finished black dress will be lined in a light neutral. The sleeve is a pleated number as well. Here’s a test sleeve…

I’ll stitch down the pleats just a little in the black version. (“Cause that’s what I see in the full sized gown.)

Here’s the lining :o)

All righty! On with the black :o)

And here’s the bodice about half sewn, with the skirt pinned in place.

Whew! Time for a little break I think! Hope you’ve enjoyed it, I know I have :o)

Until next time, thanks for reading and have a great day!


Tags: , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in awsumgal outfit, jane eyre, OOAK, Tonner No Comments »