I have finished (and have listed-click HERE for her auction) a blonde Tiny Kitty Collier doll. This is the 10 inch gal rather than the larger Kitty Collier who stands 18 inches.
This doll had beautiful long blonde hair. I think she had been previously enhanced with paint by a previous collector. But maybe her paint was all factory, I found it hard to tell. You decide :o)
Here she is before I did anything….
It’s the white paint on her lower iris, and the darker central lip line and also a little swipe of pink on her lids that make me think she had her paint augmented at some point. I haven’t looked at enough of these dolls closely enough to spot subtle non factory enhancements. I received this beauty with her hair in a braid which I’m fairly sure was not the factory set.
Anyway, off with her paint!
Now she looks like a Roman statue in pink marble!
I like to get absolutely all of the paint off, even in the creases. I find it will show up when you least expect it, if you leave any behind.
Here she has several colours in her eyes. I have to backtrack here and say that I flip flopped a little about this doll because I wanted to paint her with blue eyes, but she already had blue eyes. I’m often reluctant to paint a doll if I think there’s nothing I can add to make her more lovely. If she’s perfect (in my mind anyway) I don’t want to ruin her just for the sake of painting. There are enough dolls out there that need a little lift :o)
So, I hummed and hawed a little with her wondering about the wisdom of removing blue eyes so that I could paint blue eyes, until I looked closely and saw the white stripes on the iris. That decided it for me. I knew my blue eyes would be different looking than the factory blues anyway and once I saw the white stripe, I couldn’t unsee it, if you know what I mean……..
I also very lightly blocked in where I wanted the lips. There is actually quite a bit of reasonable latitude in terms of lip length and width and shape too….
Now I can see the whites of her eyes! LoL!
OK, so now she has some eye shadow on her lids. Frankly it’s far too pink! Pinks and greys often look substantially different when dry…. to the point of madness :o/
The darker shade is just the wrong hue entirely. Sometimes a good idea in your head doesn’t necessarily translate well to the real world. At the risk of sounding flakey, you have to let the doll tell you what to do. Go against that and I think you wind up with a less pleasing result…..
Here she is finished. Obviously a lot more painting went into her, but to go through it all with you might, dare I say it, put you all to sleep! And we do not want that (spilled coffee, curious bosses and all of that….)
The pink has been toned way down and the other purpley hue is gone entirely, whew! It’s been replaced with a much better brown with plummy undertones sort of colour.
There are many more finished pics of Marie in the auction listing. Click HERE to check it out.
Thanks for reading and have a great day!
Special thanks to my dear daughter for helping name this doll :o)