This post is all about the interior lining. I want it to look like Susan’s case, even on the inside. Hers has an elastic topped lid pocket, so I’ll be including one of these in my version too 🙂
I’ll be using a card backing with a layer of padding to give the lid silk and pocket a little structure and softness. It’s backed with muslin for durability. Below, I’m testing the look of the pocket on the card backing. Looks about right 🙂
Then I sewed the pocket to the silk backing and then the whole thing to the muslin backing. I left as small an opening for the card as I possibly could. I didn’t want to sew too much of this by hand. Machine stitching is much more robust! Then I needed to insert the card into this before attaching permanently into the case lid. To get it into the opening I gently rolled it and unrolled it when it was all the way inside.
Here goes …..
The bottom edge just needs to be stitched 🙂
On to the case bottom lining. Firstly I’ve added some padding into the bottom of the case to provide a soft place for whatever precious bits will be packed in here 🙂
You can see the loop strap tie ins in the above shot. I will be replacing these with fresh black grosgrain ribbon ties.
Again, I wanted some structure here. I don’t want the sides of the silk lining to sag, so I’ve sewed the gathered silk sides to a heavy duty stiff interfacing and to the silk bottom piece.
And … tra-la!
(This stuff always looks so easy on the blog, lol! I assure you, dear reader that much time was devoted to gathering, evenly distributing the gathers and then sewing to the interfacing – but I digress!)
Some super fantastic waterproof awesome adhesive around the edge, gently clamped with the most awesome clamps ever – clothes pins! (These things are indispensable in my studio!)
The ribbons are half in. The other side of each still need to be sewn in.
The other thing I did was to clean and repaint the case keys and put them on a little skull key holder 🙂
Here the keys are before I cleaned and painted them. The skull is getting some red rhinestone eyes inserted too.
Eye glue is dried and the keys are cleaned and painted.
Next time, I think the case will be finished! I have a little more hand painting touch up and then I’ll be sealing the whole thing with varnish and it will be ready for travel 🙂
Thanks for reading!
Tags: awsumgal. skull case, custom case, custom painted case, dancing skeletons, desperately seeking susan, dss, skeleton, skull, Skull Case
Posted in desperately seeking susan, madonna, OOAK, Restorations, Skull Case, Uncategorized No Comments »