I sure hope you are all getting every last drop of enjoyment out of your summer!
We’ve just returned from a terrific week of camping in Ontarios’ provincial parks. We headed from just outside of Toronto to The Bruce Peninsula and Manitoulin Island by way of a thoroughly enjoyable family reunion!
The Bruce Peninsula is truly lovely territory, with rocky cliffs, a dive park and numerous hiking trails. If you ever have the good fortune to be up that way, plan to spend some time there!
Isn’t it gorgeous?
I didn’t mistitle this post, really! I do plan to blog a little more about the Bruce and Manitoulin, but this is about my ooak Mermaid.
I worked on her quite a bit today, so here’s what I was able to accomplish…….
The tail is pretty key to the success or failure of this gal as a Mermaid, at least to my mind. I wanted quite a lot from her tail. I want it to be able to accept a pole stand, but I also want her to be able to come off of that stand. I want the tail to be somewhat poseable and flexible, and I want it to be a little weighted at the bottom! Not much to ask Lol! I have high expectations, I’ll admit, but I think, in the end, it will do what I want!
So today I made the inner tail support structure. It has three parts that were all stuffed slightly differently and are separated inside so that stuffing and pellets don’t migrate around inside the tail. There is also a separate fabric tube inside the tail for the stand pole.
Here are some pics….
This is the plotting of the tail pattern pieces.
The next shows the path the stand will ultimately take. The crochet hook is “standing” in!
The tail has been stuffed with varying combinations of pellets and polyfill stuffing in its’ three chambers.
The tail is together here and I’m in the process of stuffing.
The tail inner form is finished. Now to add all the beauty!
Again the crochet hook is my “stand” in! Lol!
Here are the beginnings of what I hope will be her gorgeous tail (the outer part!)
As I mentioned in a previous post, I am hand bead knitting stranded silk fibre for her tail. In this pic I have used more of the light moss green that is in her hair. I have also used numerous glass seed and smaller beads. The beads are lighter at the top of her tail and will get gradually darker as I continue. There are blues, greens, lavenders, purples and iridescent beads in here!
The tail starts moss green at her waist and gets darker the closer you get to her fin. Can’t wait to do the FIN!!
While hiking around Lake Huron I was able to pick up a precious few rocks, shells and driftwood. (All diminutive Dawn sized, of course!) All that shoreline and wonderful watery landscape was terrifically inspiring to me for this Mermaid project…..
Until next time :o)
Have a lovely Saturday evening/Sunday morning!