Happy Sunday everyone!
Well the blog was down for a bit and I was too busy with the holidays to do much about it. Apparently my chosen theme was not happy and playing well with a newer WordPress version. It would be nice to be alerted of such an incompatibility, but whatever. No worries, it’s all fixed now :o)
On to more important details! When I last posted about this outfit for the Franklin Mint vinyl Marilyn doll, it was only beginning to be constructed. I spent a fair amount of time on the notched oversized lapel. I wanted it to lie naturally and that took a little tweaking :o)
Here it is pretweaked. It’s also on my Tonner Tyler because I didn’t yet have a Marilyn doll to work with. One was on the way, but I didn’t want to wait until it arrived before I began!
Back to the collar… It is not sitting nicely. The collar piece was too rounded. I removed it, redrafted, recut and resewed that bit and carefully reinserted it. It was much better!
Here’s a look at the shirt with the jacket open…
More refining of the collar went on after this pic too :o)
I tidied the jacket up a bit more. I pressed it and made it a little shorter when I hemmed it.
The blackÂ stretch skirt has a nice little vent in the back as I imagine the real one probably had. In real life it’s for stride room, on a doll it’s just a touch of realism. Not necessary, but nice. It’s also lined for a clean finish and to protect the doll from dye bleed which can be an issue with black, dark or very vibrant fabrics. Her silk/cotton asymmetrical shirt has an attached panty so that it won’t come untucked during posing (something that used to drive me nutty!) and also ensures that even the narrow turn over edge of the black skirt won’t touch the doll.
Then some hand finishing on the jacket and the Niagara outfit is finished. It’s even all packed and ready to go, but before that I took some finished studio shots.
Here’s another shot of the whole outfit. I used a vintage abalone button that seemed about the right size. The original one is a generous one.
Marilyn just needs some footwear and she’ll be ready to go :o)
Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed the process.
I’m currently working on a couple of things. Another LuxDoll and a repaint too so keep popping in!
Happy New Year