As I remarked to a doll friend, it’s amazing how something so samll can take so much time!
I have been working away at the lace train of the gown and just that little bit is a time consuming part of the project. I want it to look like the real train, with the major embroidery bits winding up in the same place. I can’t of course completely copy the real lace, the scale is just too small.
I spent the day yesterday trying things to see if they had the right visual feel. Then I’d scrutinize and go “ew” and take it out and start again. (Isn’t that the definition of insanity? Lol!)
So here’s where I began. I’m plotting on the top silk portion of the train, the placement of the lace inserts. I’m just going for general shape These will be openings that will “house” bits of lace.
I then transferred the shapes to the silk and finished the edges of all of these openings. Otherwise the whole business would unravel and look messy!
Here it is with its’ edges finished and after having had a good pressing.
That bit in, and of, itself took a while, but here’s the lacey bit that has really been a challenge for me…
I decided to bead the bottom edge to approximate the scalloped edge of the dress. I couldn’t find a lace small enough and one that I liked enough to use, so I went bead shopping. I knew I needed to get small beads for the headdress anyway…. Here are some of the delights that I found:
Don’t you just love the fact that there are about a million different whites? What fun!!
The embroidered tulle that I am using had the wrong sort of embroidery and I decided that I would be fighting a losing battle trying to make the existing embroidery look anything like the real McCoy, so…..
I took it all that out too! I could have used regular tulle instead, but the embroidered tulle had an iridescent sheen to it that regular tulle just doesn’t have. After removing all of the existing stitching I tried to block out with iridescent embroidery thread, the lacey areas on the train. I had this:
So, I looked at this and I thought well, it will look better with some embroidery and some beads. And I let that stew a little. I began the edge beading which I think works really well. I added a row of wavy iridescentÂ stitching as well. Then I let it stew a while longer.
I came back to it later and I still loved the beaded edging but I didn’t like the threading and stitching, and I knew it had to go. So, I took it all out again! (I know picky, picky!)
Here it is with the beaded edging but not the the nasty threading :o)
After much humming and hawing and hand wringing and whatnot, I have found the something that I like! Yay! It looks good from far, and it looks good close up and it looks something like the real one. phew..
Not all of the bits are sewn on in this photo, and I will be adding beads (of course).
Here’s a close up of the lace bits with some of the edge beading,
That’s the full update on the train. I have given Connie her new hair, and her face paint (although I’m awaiting eye colour confirmation! lol!) I’m not going to show her face until the end, I think ;o) but here is her hair in dolly sized “rollers” getting a bit of curl in advance of her gorgeous headdress….
Well I think that is everything that I can say today, except of course