I have been working on Calidas’ outfit. I had decided that the preliminary go round yesterday was a little too white and too streamlined. Instead, I have tea dyed (no, not tie dyed!) some cheesecloth which I have overlaid onto a thin cotton unbleached muslin.The pretty chiffon print comprises the skirt.
Here’s a look see:
I like the volume of the skirt. I like how the tea dyed cheescloth sticks out a little. I’m thinking that the side front split in the print skirt will be a great spot for some of her accessories to hang from an interesting belt or waistband…….
In the above, the skirt is just pinned in place and the skirt hem is unfinished. The skirt also has a cascade in front for a bit of visual interest.
I next overedge stitched the entire skirt hem. I chose a warm complimentary brown thread, because the hem edge is part of the whole look really.
I need to pull in the waist a little bit, I think, because otherwise the dropped waist thing is kind of lost. I wanted to give this dressÂ straps. To emulate the fabric of the bodice I have hand woven a strap (one so far, but there will be two, lol)
I have hand stitched the skirt to the rest of the dress. I like my outfits to be removable. In case they need a wash, or heaven forbid, somebody tires of it and wants to put their doll in something else! Anyway, this dress has pearl bead closures at the back, and the skirt is not attached from the centre back to the side front to allow the dress to be removed if necessary. It too will fasten with a pearl bead, unless I change my mind :o)
I have decided to take a painting break to let my mind wander through all of the ideas I have floating around in there for accessories for her. I am painting my first Prudence Moody. It’s a gas. Will blog about that tomorrow…..
Thanks for visiting and have a wonderful day!