Good Saturday morning!
Madonnas’ Susan Jacket is coming along nicely :o) This is what it should look like:
With the pattern pieces I made of the pyramid parts, I worked each separately, off jacket. That way, if I made some horrible error, I wouldn’t be harming the jacket. I could make sure the pyramid was as perfect as I could make it before attaching it to her jacket back.
The pyramid has a little bit of loft to it and so I wanted to add just a little padding underneath….. I then put it together with the gold and attached them with some red edge stitching.
I plan to put the bricks in by hand. I’ll have more control that way. I want the bricks to be as exact to the original as possible. Same number in each row, same number of rows yada yada….
So, the red edging is on in the above and the row count is there in black. Now onto the vertical brick lines and the MDCCLXXVI (1776)
The Roman numeral date is on and the bricks are almost half done…..
I finished off the bricks and worked on the pyramid top with the eye on it.
The proportions are good, I think. The gold pyramid top looks a little big but the edge stitching will make it look the right size….
I tack stitched the pyramid bottom to the jacket and will stitch it permanently when I’m happy with where the other elements will be placed.
Checking the pyramid top against the bottom making sure everything looks as it should. The top is only pinned in place in the above pic…..
Woo baby! It’s on there now :o) The radial gold stitching is on too. The eye needs a little gold highlight stitched in. Both parts are permanently attached now. The last element for the jacket is the red banner underneath that reads Novus Ordo Seclorum (intended translation-New World Order)
The banner is quite narrow, and although I didn’t want it to fray, traditional non-fraying fabrics weren’t going to make it here. I didn’t want to make it out of felt or leather for example. So, instead I found a beautiful deep red satin and fused it. This would keep things stable while I attached it to the jacket. I made a pattern piece and transferred that to the fusing. Then I attached the fusing to the satin before I cut the banner. With the fusing attached it is much easier to cut a tiny fiddly complicated shape like the rounded ribbon banner rippling in the breeze……
The piece on the jacket is the paper pattern, the other white piece is the fusing.
The fusing attached to the satin which is now ready to cut….
After this is attached I will stitch the motto in by hand.
I decided that the jacket wanted more gold glitter at this point, so I paused. I stuffed the jacket and masked the pyramid parts and gave it some more gold. Here it is drying, so the clear masking is still on the pyramid.
I will attach the banner next. Then sew the bottom hem, add a button, and just a little more gold to the collar and the jacket will be finished!
Then it’s on to finish the pants, the earring, headband, bracelets, necklaces, belt etc …….yikes, there’s a lot to do yet :o/
Thanks for reading and enjoy your Saturday!