My Wonder Woman ensemble is nearing completion.I’ve done quite a bit since my last post about her… Here’s some catch up,
I decided to make a change to the gauntlets and the tiara. Looking ahead to the eagle on her chest the gold vinyl just wasn’t gong to have the same impact as something shinier. I wanted the eagle motif to match the gauntlets and the tiara, so when I made the decision to cut the eagle out of shiny gold lamÃ©, the tiara and gauntlets had to be remade too. Maybe I’m a little too picky…..
Anyway, it’s done now :o)
Here’s how the bodysut looked so far…
She’s still wearing the old gauntlets in this pic, but I’ve finished all of the fasteners up the back of the costume.
I’ve used coresponding coloured glass beads and hand knotted thread loops as the fasteners.
The golden eagle motif is semi-attached. It will need a few strategically placed stitches to hold everything in place. I can’t sew it all the way around the edges as the piece is only about an eighth of an inch wide in most places and the bodice is three dimentional, so it would look, in a word, messy…..
So strategic stitching and a little fabric glue is the way to go. The eagle motif above is not the one I ultimately used. I cut another (well 4 actully, argh!) that is narrower and shaped slightly differently.
I’ve also added the stars to her star spangled shorts! What with the star on her tiara and her gauntlets plus the stars on her shorts, I’ve been dreaming tiny fabric stars seemingly for weeks, lol!
Five pointed stars are a little tricky to draw for me. It’s so easy to make them look wonky and unbalanced. After this project though I getting loads of practice in drawing them! I was musing about how best to apply stars to her costume. I could cut them out of fabric, but it have to be a fabric that didn’t fray because they’re so dang small. They couldn’t be sewn on because the stitching would interfere with the shape of the star. I could glue them on, but frankly I would suspect that eventually they would fall off and that would never do. Despite the fact that there is some glue on her bodice, I really try to use glue sparingly. It is, imho, bound to fail at some point in the future. I want my work to last as long as possible, and not fall apart :o)
In the end I decided to paint them. To help them look neat and precise and, of course, place them in exactly the right spots, I cut a stencil.
My most wonderful sister Mandy Budan of Budanart suggested the stencil idea. Quite fitting as she is an award winning artist,Â a painter of much renown! Click HERE to see her work. Prepare to be floored :o)
Rather than just cut a single star stencil, I cut a stencil that encompasses the entire front. This makes sure that I place them properly, and there are three different sizes of stars. This seemed the best way to accomplish this part.
Stars and stencil before cutting:
Below are th new gauntlets :o)
Here’s the stencil, in place, with stars carefully cut out and ready for painting!
And poof! There you have it! Stars a plenty, lol! This is the new narrower eagle motif as well…
I’ve made her all improtant lasso also. I have hung it from a hand turned brass wire hook from her hip. Ah, but which hip? I have pics of her with it on both sides.
Two shots with it on the left hip, but then……
Shazam! Here it is on the right. Since this is signed I’m thinking that the other pics have been flipped at some point but I don’t know why -_- Just to be sure, I checked with the omnipotent YouTube and sure enough there are some episodes of the Lynda Carter series and a bunch of other random Wonder Woman related material. Some authentic, some spoofs and crazy remakes. If you want to see the real woman in action click HERE to see an original TV episode on youtube and be transported back to the 70’s! Sure enough the lasso is on the right hip, so that’s where it went on my costume as well :o) That’s it for today, until next post,
Thanks for reading!