Hello good people!
Tomorrow I will be listing for sale a one of a kind ensemble for the Superdoll Sybarites. I thought some might be interested in how this ooak fashion came to be, so I thought I would describe some of the process for you here :o)
I had a garment in mind, and an original sketch of what I wanted, but the end result has deviated substantially from the original kernel of an idea. This often (or maybe always?) happens, and I let it go where it wants, if you know what I mean. As you work with something and spend some time with it , it seems to have a will of it’s own. It’s best to listen to your own instincts (and the thing in front of you) even if it means redoing and or reworking something. Anyway, here we go!
I wanted something sexy, but not trashy. I mean these dolls are gorgeous! So I drafted a demi cup corset type bodice. (In truth I made a basic princess line bodice when I first got my Sybarite and this is the first chance I’ve had to play!) Technically not a corset, but definitely corset like. The upper portion of the corset cup would be a different fabric, probably lace I thought (although I was wrong about that, lol.)
This is the fabric I’m using for the corset. I love it, it feels like smooth taffeta and it’s a wonderful colour. It frays like a sonofabiscuit though so I have edge stitched all the pieces so they don’t disintegrate while I work. Some of the pieces are pretty narrow!
It’s coming along….
Of course she wanted to try it on. A bit breezy she said…..
Then I did all of that again for the inside!
Then I chose a black and tan dotted chiffon for the bodice inset….
For the skirt my options were wide open. That made it a difficult choice! I had a gorgeous print silk whose colourway was perfect!I thought I would add a sort of bustle arrangement in more of the dotted chiffon, but I just couldn’t get the silk skirt to look as terrific as I thought it should. After looking at it for days, I finally nixed it. It’s still a terrific fabric so, I’ll use it for something else.
I decided to make a skirt with lots of texture. I had lots of wacky ideas but settled on petals. I cuts loads of white petals in three different sizes. I was going to sew them all onto an under structure skirt by hand.I pleated each petal….
Then I decided they were too big, so I tried the smaller size. Still they just weren’t fine enough. It didn’t strike me as classy, so again, I nixed this plan. It is an idea I will revisit in a different way, but not for this.
I was happy though with the silhouette of the under structure skirt! It is a flared column with a generous back godet in a linen type stiff fabric. Yummy!
So again, I spent a few days trying to find the perfect overlay for this skirt. I find it helpful when stymied in this way, to find something else to do for a while. Another project or something else entirely ndr! Allow the mind to wander a little and approach the project with a fresh perspective. When I came back to it I decided to make a few adjustments to the bodice pattern and add a different top cup insert. I chose tan mesh that I painstakingly hand sewed tiny sequins onto. (I mean these puppies are miiscule!) I was very pleased with the end result!
I found a small piece of delicate very wide weave cotton that I thought could be perfect,Â but it was too white. So, I tea dyed this gauzy fabric. After dying, I fixed the tea with vinegar and heat, then the fabric was washed and dried. Here it is….
I draped this fabric to the under skirt. I played around with it and when I was happy with the look, I spot sewed by hand.
Tomorrow I will list this one of a kind fashion for sale on ebay and post a link and final photos here as well. Hope you’ve enjoyed following along with me!
Thanks for reading :o)