I have always wanted one of these ladies from the 50’s. They’re so classy and iconic of the time. I wasn’t around at that time, but she certainly evokes all of that almost everyday kind of glamour. The days when women supposedly wore lovely dresses and pearls to vacuum! These dolls are usually out of my price range when they’re in good shape and the competition for the ones that need help is pretty fierce too! I have been on the lookout for one for years and finally found one! This girl needs stringing and new hair, but, she has good clear eyes, an unstained body, no cracks or chips… Good bones as it were! So I embark on my pet project to restore her to her former loveliness :o)
Here’s how she looked when I unpacked her…..
She was a little dirty, so first I gave her a bit of a clean up to the face and body.
See how short her hair is? It was also really dry and crispy too :o( I knew it had to go. I was a little concerned about the orange dot on her eyesocket, but it did come off in the end :o)
Her eyes sure are pretty though! Time to remove the natty old hair…..
In order to reroot this little ladies’ hair I’ll need to remove her head! I’ve not removed a Dollikin’s head before, so I took it slowly trying to see what I was up against at every step of the way. This doll is strung so there is a hook attached to a neck hole plate. It was tricky to detach and to make sure I can put her back together I have attached a piece of wire to the elastic cord….
With the head safely detached from the body, I needed to take the plate out of her head so that I can get at her scalp. I am prying this plate out very carefully because I don’t want to damage the plate or the neck hole…
And there it is! I will now put that aside for the reassemble.
When I took the plate out of her head, I was surprised to find that her head was full of stuff!
Little tiny shreds of paper and fluff. Clearly inserted when the doll was made. I carefully removed all of this and put it aside as well. I plan to put it all back when I’m finished rerooting her.
I’m telling you, there was a lot of stuffing in her head! Here’s a look inside her empty cranial cavity!
Phew, after silly amounts of time time with tweezers, her hair is all out and she is bald and ready to reroot!
I hummed and hawed a little about her haircolour, but in the end I decided to stay true to the restoration aspect and will be rerooting her in a Honey Blond colour that is very close to the original. Of course I’m using my favorite, Saran dollhair :o)
Her original hair is on the left and you can see the new hair I’ll be rooting in. I’m excited!
I am working on this girl in my spare time, around commissions and other commitments, (I’m working on a couple of exciting Sybarite items too!) so it will take some time to complete. Next time you see her she will doubtless have some hair!
Thanks so much for reading, until next time!