I’ve started a new project for a dear collector. I’ve been asked to recreate a very cool looking wedding gown from the 1960’s It’s very short, of course! Covered in daisies with amazing chiffon embroidered sleeves. Very modern and very dramatic! Here’s the dress I’ll be making in miniature….
The stockings will be an interesting challenge! We’ll skin that one when we get to it :o)
I want to be able to bring the texture of the daisies to the smaller version. As usual there isn’t a fabric out there that will work for this gown, so…. I need to come up with my own version. At first I thought a base fabric with it’s own texture would help the daisies that I planned to attach pop a little…
Then I went looking for tiny white daisies. A relatively fruitless affair, lol! There wasn’t anything small enough, but then there never is when creating for smaller gals like Dawn! After exhausting all of my favorite fabric sources, I found some nice small scale daisy based lace trim. Finally! Daisies small enough to attach. Yay!
Of course they are part of trim and will need to be carefully cut off before I sew them to the under dress. My client pointed out that the underdress should maybe be more satin like, and she’s right. The busy mesh just obscures the daisy shapes. Texture yes, but no definable shape. With that in mind, I made the under dress. A fairly tight and short sleeveless (for now) withe mini….
The destination doll is a HTT Dawn probably with the long fall, nicely styled. But for now, my white mohair reroot Oleander is modeling for me (while she waits for me to finish the beading on her dress, lol)
Here are some of the flowers, cut out and placed on the dress to make sure it’ll look the way we want.
With that decided, I wanted to map out the shape of the flowing sleeves as well. At first we thought they were more like a wrap, but upon closer scrutiny, we concluded sleeves! They are very long and become almost a train in the back. So they must be attached somewhere across the back as well as being sleeves. I drafted a pattern for those. I added a little extra across the top of the shoulder that I want to gather a little for more drape. It may be too much when I get to that point, and I might have to take it out. But for now, I’m following my instinct on that one.
Of course none of the edges have been finished yet, but they all will be when I’m done. I cut many many daisies off of the trim that I bought. Then I got to sewing them on. They look terrific! I’ll share some pics of that next time. Thanks for reading and have a great day!