May, 2014

Frozen – Anna outfit WIP 3

I’ve continued the work on the details of Anna’s outfit and I’ve made lots of progress 🙂

I showed the embroidery on her vest last time and I’ve just finished all the decoration on her blue skirt. I used fabric paint as I thought I would after going back to the store for some better colour options. I mixed a couple of different blues for the floral motifs and of course the magenta bloom according to the drawings. Painting so small was a bit finicky and one has to be in the right frame of mind to do this. Brushes were too big for this so I wound up using a pin, lol!

Speaking of pins, I used a pin board (for quilting) covered with a layer of plastic for protection to secure the skirt and keep it taut and still while I painted. Seemed to work ok 🙂

No paint, just pinned and ready to go ……


Scalloped edge first. This took a number of coats.


Then some of the florals…..


And some more florals….


Last, the magenta stylized blooms….



I continued sewing up her collared, two layer cape. Some I did with the machine and the rest I did by hand. It will need the pretty edging, but I finished the front clasp. I’ve used sterling silver plated copper wire and hand turned it to the right shape before sewing it to the cape. I’ve added some silver beads to finish the look. There is a hook and corresponding loop hidden under the decorative wire clasp so that it can be fastened closed.


The last big thing for Anna will be her boots. I’ve made careful note of the designs on the fronts of them, and that’s what I’ll be working on next. Then fasteners on the skirt, vest, Elsa’s dress and finally attaching Elsa’s snowflake cape and this project will be complete!

Thanks so much for reading!


Tags: , , ,
Posted in awsumgal outfit, dawn and pippa, Frozen, Uncategorized No Comments »

Frozen Anna’s Outfit WIP 2

I’ve been a little too busy working on both Anna and Elsa’s outfits to write much in the last week or so, but I’ve tried to take pictures!

Yesterday was a very productive day for Anna’s costume 🙂 When I last showed it, the outfit was all cut out (except for the cape) and waiting to be assembled. I have done that now….

The reclaimed Kimono silk was perfect for her shirt and great to work with even with such tiny pattern pieces. It presses beautifully too. Here’s the shirt all ready to wear 🙂 The sleeves are faced and have a bead button closure do it will fit over the dolls hand and still be a close fit when done up.


Then I went to work on the skirt. I wanted to faithfully represent the top pleat look so I’ve pressed them so they stay in place. I might steam out the hard edge later. I’ll reserve judgement and see how it hangs after I add the decoration….


I’ve added a waistband and now it’s ready for paint.


I did consider embroidery and even piecing the blue scallops, but I think paint will look better. I will testing the paint on some spare fabric today to make sure it’s going to work. If I don’t like it I will go come up with another solution 🙂

The Vest

Ah, the vest!


It’s the cutest part of her outfit 🙂 For this I’ve used a beautiful black wool and pieced together a form fitting shell. For the gold edging I first tried a hand sewn blanket, over edge stitch, but I didn’t like it. It wasn’t solid gold enough. Too much wool showed between the stitches and adding more stitches just made it look messy, so I took that out. I didn’t want to use paint here because the surface of the wool is not flat and smooth and trying to get a clean hard edge with paint wasn’t going to work. I have some gold cord, but it wasn’t wide enough, so I braided it and set it with adhesive so it won’t fray (but I still knotted it at every cut end to be sure) let it dry and then sewed it with gold thread to all of the edges of the vest. It’s exactly how I wanted it to look!




As you can see, I’ve made a rough mock up of the embroidery placement and colour so I have something to look at while I’m stitching…..


Then I began the fun part (well it’s all fun really isn’t it, lol!) The embroidery 🙂 I got all of the colours of thread ready, threaded them all up and set to work. Flowers first, their placement is of paramount importance!


Dots in yellow and blue and stems and leaves in green followed. It’s a little tricky to make things perfectly symmetrical on a tiny scale. Here it is with lots of the embroidery in place 🙂



If I can squeeze more embroidery onto this tiny vest, I will, but I may be out of room :o/

Then on to her magenta cape! Such an interesting cape it is too 🙂


Still lots to do on the cape. It’ll need edging when it’s all put together.

Ok, here’s one last image tonight of the first paint test on the blue skirt fabric….


The yellow is fabric paint and the blue and magenta dots are acrylic paint as is the blue scallop. The fabric paint doesn’t bleed, at all. The acrylic does if I thin it too much. The fabric paint is a little thick and might be difficult to get fine, thin lines with. I’ll try some fine lines with a smaller brush tomorrow, but that’s enough for me today, phew!

Thanks for reading!



Tags: , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in awsumgal outfit, dawn and pippa, Frozen, Uncategorized No Comments »