January, 2015

Tiny Porcelain Babies get fixed up :)

Some time ago, I found these adorable tiny porcelain baby dolls and some vintage looking clothes at my local thrift store.

Even though I don’t usually go in much for most porcelain dolls (there is a fairly big population of mediocre quality examples) these little babies were just too sweet to leave behind. They were comfortably housed in a woven wicker type stroller. and were wearing very well made matching crocheted outfits. I could tell they needed restringing, but I was up to the challenge, some home they came with me!

Well, I finally got around to giving them the time of day! First I examined what had been done originally and I was a little dismayed to find that whomever has strung them before me was playing fast and loose with the glue they used. Oh well, no matter. It was a small thing to gently pick it off with a dull knife.

 

When I had liberated these little cuties from their crocheted outfits I found that one of them had a tragically broken leg! Again, I’m not worried! I have a plan to fix that!

These babies have no markings, so I don’t know who made them, or anything about them really, except that they’re cute. Oh and this funny little babe was in there too 🙂 He has rather unfortunate features. I may repaint him!

I assembled my bits for the job of restringing. I’ll use cotton embroidery floss in white, pink seed bead stops and Jewel It glue. This glue retains some flexibility when dry and I have had good adherence experience with it.

The broken leg will have to be repaired before stringing of course, but I’ll test my intended method on the babe that isn’t broken. I’ll be placing cotton felt discs in between the joints so they don’t wear on each other.

Seems to work. The joints hold pose. When the glue is dry I’ll cut The threads closer to the tie.

To fix the broken leg, I’ll insert a LA doll clay leg top. I’ll poke a hole through for stringing while it’s still wet. I don’t want to disturb it too much when it’s dry because I don’t know how well the clay will hold onto the porcelain. As a result I don’t really want to take a drill to it!

While the clay was drying I soaked the little christening dresses and the little day dress in some Oxy Clean to see if I could bring them back to life…

These items were all white (or were supposed to be – they were actually pretty yellow!) so I wasn’t worried that the Oxy would hurt them. Some items can’t even withstand getting wet, so proceed with extreme caution when handling vintage and antique items. I tend to baby sit whatever I’m trying to clean and check on it frequently to make sure the item isn’t being degraded.

Back to the babies! I spent some time degluing them and cleaning up a few scuffs and they look sweet!

They’re so cute! After their clothes were cleaned (and rinsed well) and dried, I dressed them and put them back into their giant wicker pram. They look comfy cosy in there 🙂

If you’ve made it this far, thanks for joining me!

xo

~awsumgal

 

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Restorations, Uncategorized, vintage No Comments »