I have set about creating a 12 inch version of Wonder Woman’s dive suit for underwater crimefighting! It’s a form fitting blue unitard with gloves and heelless boots, a hood, wrist guards, belt and lasso (of course!). Since I have already finished this outfit, I will recount the whole thing in a single post 🙂
I started with the unitard as it’s the basis for all things 🙂 Here is the actual real life costume…
I had some fabric troubles here and there. I was using a two way stretch fabric and altered my four way stretch pattern, but alas not enough, so it took a couple of tries to get it just right. Sadly, my sewing machine was in a long winded and sometimes violent argument with my sewing machine! What I mean is, my machine hated to sew this fabric! New needle, no help, top tension adjustment, pfft, nothing, bottom tension adjustment, a most minor of improvements, stabilizer….. Yes, with the reinforcements in the ranks by way of stabilizer I was able to successfully sew this up. Then, calamity of calamity, the delightful blue shiny fabric of which I was so proud and excited to have found, wore. I mean wore down, shiny all gone! Right on the bust points, and the hips. Well, that;s not going to do is it?
Here’s that one…
I mean sure it’s a little light, but I could live with that. I couldn’t live with it wearing out before I’d even finished the project!
After all of that, I had to find a different fabric. My original fabric seller was most helpful, but didn’t have what I needed. Sigh. Just as well probably as time was of the essence and I am closer to the east coast and they are closer to the west coast…. Next time. (Cali Fabrics Check them out!)
Luckily, my local had liquid metal! And in the right colour! So off to work again! From the beginning, and yes, new fabric, more pattern tweaks. My machine like this fabric only a little better. But we soldiered on and made it happen.
Here’s the new fabric beside her wearing the original version. You really can’t see that the finish has worn off the bust because of the flash glare, but trust me, wear off it did.
This new blue is backed in black and your doll peeps know about that! For those who don’t though, black (or other dark or strong colours) can leach onto the vinyl, plastic or resin of your doll staining her. Most dark or strong fashions have a light, neutral lining and I have planned that here. The other reason for lining in this case is the impossibility of getting this unitard onto the dolls’ impossibly long semi soft vinyl legs! It’s like they grab onto the unitard and will not budge! So I nade the lining and put it on the doll and it’s great! So then I put the unitard on and it slips right onto her and I’m singing and it’s fabulous!
Silly me, then I attach the two together, and we’re back to an impossible tug of war trying to put it on her. Back we go, separate the two, and all is well again. So that’s how it will stay, thank you very much!
Tired of mediating the fight between the fabric and my machine, I moved on the gold bits for a bit of a break. (That blue hood is trashbound – wrong blue!)
A little glue, a little support, and some “clamps” 🙂
Proportion check…. The belt is good, but the gold cuffs are too wide. Ew. We’ll fix that.
With that finally all sorted out, it was on to the hood, which I also lined. I left the back of the head open to faciltate putting it on and will add fasteners. It will need some gold bands and a red star.
Then her red boots…. I looked at an episode I found online where she’s diving in this suit and her boots are heelless, so that’s what I’ll do as well. I toyed with the idea of incorporating them as one piece with the unitard, but decided against it. Realism (such as it is in this context) won out and I made them separate so they can be removed if desired. They’re stretchy and have the sewn on white tops and front stripe as they should. The soles and insoles are a series of fabric and card and glue and paint and stitching 🙂
Next the gloves. These are always a challenge, but especially on this doll because of the shape of her hands. She is in a perpetual semi grip hand formation that makes it quite tricky to apply gloves. They too are separate from the unitard and need patience to put on! They are lined as well. I don’t want the doll’s hands turning black.
Her golden wrist guards need a tiny perfect red star each. I’ve done pearl shaped beads and stretchy thread loops for fasteners so they’ll fit over the glove and sleeve ends.
Last but not least, the embellishments on the upper chest of the untiard. Stars, stars and more stars!
Big stars and little ones and one red band and one gold. Cutting out all of those tiny stars was a challenge as was placing them just so. Then they all got a single stitch each.
Separately stitched, to preserve the stretchiness, and the fasteners down the back and it was finished 🙂
I’ll be making a dress for someone next and then I’ll finish Pompadour’s shoes (finally) Phew!
Thanks for reading this long winded, entire project in a single post!
Tags: awsumgal, diana prince, doll, lynda carter, Mego, wodner woman dive suit, Wonder Woman, ww
Posted in awsumgal outfit, doll clothes, doll outfit, Mego, replica, Uncategorized, Wonder Woman 2 Comments »