Wonder Woman WIP2
Today was dolly day for me… I worked on Wonder Womans’ outfit (and a Sybarite wig, a Gene repaintÂ and I took a break to shop for a few Blythe dolls, but that’s another post, lol!)
Wonder Woman is looking gorgeous I must say :o)
Here’s what I’m going for…
Today I made the boots. This is a good thing because doll footwear is tricky for the indy dolldork like me! I can’t mold plastic into heels and footbeds for example , which are the foundations for most doll shoes (although I’m working on that, lol!) There are of course other shoe solutions and I’m always looking for new ones…..
My Wonder Woman boots are red cotton poly stretch fabric with sewn on white trim. I have lined them in white to protect the dolls vinyl legs. This is likely unnecessary, as I don’t think my delightful client will ever change her wardrobe, but you never know…..
Here are some pics of the boots coming together:
Originally I thought I would use the same nylon for the stripe that I’m using for the lining of the boots, but then I decided that madness that way lay…….
In other news, I bought a new work surface. It’s Purple! It smells a little like machine oil.Â *sigh* I hope it outgases soon -_-
I chose a non fraying white drapery lining coated fabric instead. Much more better :o) It’s sewn on, so it’s never going anywhere, it’s completely staying put!
Both boots are done, except for the heels…..
I’m happy with how the boots look. I think they look like the real things….
Then I worked on her gauntlets and tiara.
They are gold shiny metal in the real thing but metal mirror finish is tough to achieve, and her gauntlets and tiara match her eagle motif on the front of her costume, so it had to be fabric of some sort. Metal just wouldn’t be possible here, so I chose gold vinyl.
The gauntlets and tiara needed to have some structure to them, some rigidity beyond the vinyl itself. I chose watercolour paper as a substrate. Good watercolour paper is acid free and relatively inert, so it’s not going to react with anything and won’t degrade over time like many other substances would. Also it can get a little wet!
The fact that it can get wet and not completely dissolve or fall apart makes it ideal to shape into a curve. In the pic above, I have gently dampened the surface and curved the paper. The tiny clothes pins are clamping the paper until it dries completely. As you can see I have not yet begun on the tiara curving yet….
The gauntlets and tiara all have a red star motif on them. There were a couple of ways that this could be achieved. I could cut out littl red stars and glue them on. I couold draw red stars on, ew yick not likely!
I decided to cut the stars out of the gold vinyl and back it with red fabric to create the stars. That way, I know the stars will never fall off, they’ll never fade, or fray. And hey, I like the way they look! Here they are all clamped and drying….
I love tiny clothes pins! They make awesome doll clamps!
Tomorrow I hope to finish the fasteners on the jumpsuit and plot out the eagle motif and belt. Then It’s just her lasso and she’s ready ready to trounce the foul wherever they reside!
Thanks so much for reading and have a fab evening!
August 11, 2009