Posts Tagged ‘skull’

Desperately Seeking Susan Skull Case Bigger – WIP 4

This post is all about the interior lining. I want it to look like Susan’s case, even on the inside. Hers has an elastic topped lid pocket, so I’ll be including one of these in my version too ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll be using a card backing with a layer of padding to give the lid silk and pocket a little structure and softness. It’s backed with muslin for durability. Below, I’m testing the look of the pocket on the card backing. Looks about right ๐Ÿ™‚

WIP4CaseLining3w

Then I sewed the pocket to the silk backing and then the whole thing to the muslin backing. I left as small an opening for the card as I possibly could. I didn’t want to sew too much of this by hand. Machine stitching is much more robust! Then I needed to insert the card into this before attaching permanently into the case lid. To get it into the opening I gently rolled it and unrolled it when it was all the way inside.

WIP4CaseLining4w

Here goes …..

WIP4CaseLining5w

 

Success! Yay!

WIP4CaseLining6w

The bottom edge just needs to be stitched ๐Ÿ™‚

Test fit!

WIPCaseLining7

On to the case bottom lining. Firstly I’ve added some padding into the bottom of the case to provide a soft place for whatever precious bits will be packed in here ๐Ÿ™‚

WIPCaseLining8w

You can see the loop strap tie ins in the above shot. I will be replacing these with fresh black grosgrain ribbon ties.

WIPCaseLining9w

Again, I wanted some structure here. I don’t want the sides of the silk lining to sag, so I’ve sewed the gathered silk sides to a heavy duty stiff ย interfacing and to the silk bottom piece.

And … tra-la!

(This stuff always looks so easy on the blog, lol! I assure you, dear reader that much time was devoted to gathering, evenly distributing the gathers and then sewing to the interfacing – but I digress!)

Tra-la!

WIPCaseLining10w

 

Some super fantastic waterproof awesome adhesive around the edge, gently clamped with the most awesome clamps ever – clothes pins! (These things are indispensable in my studio!)

The ribbons are half in. The other side of each still need to be sewn in.

The other thing I did was to clean and repaint the case keys and put them on a little skull key holder ๐Ÿ™‚

Here the keys are before I cleaned and painted them. The skull is getting some red rhinestone eyes inserted too.

WIP4CaseKeys1w

 

Eye glue is dried and the keys are cleaned and painted.

WIP4CaseKeys2w

 

Next time, I think the case will be finished! I have a little more hand painting touch up and then I’ll be sealing the whole thing with varnish and it will be ready for travel ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for reading!

~awsumgal

Tags: , , , , , , , ,
Posted in desperately seeking susan, madonna, OOAK, Restorations, Skull Case, Uncategorized No Comments »

New Desperately Seeking Susan Skull Case listing on Esty

Good day dolly fans!

I have finished a mini replica dancing skeleton and skull head drum case for 16 dolls. This is a miniature of the drum case carried by Madonna in the film Desperately Seeking Susan. I have made this before (twiceย  in the last 10 years!) but each is slightly different due to the hand painting and finishing that goes into it after airbrushing with my custom stencils.

This has been made by the same method I used before, which I lay out in some detail in a previous post. Here’s a link if you’d like to check that out.

Skull Case Blog post the first one anyway, there are several!

It has a pink 100% silk interior, both top and bottom and the top has a useable elastic edged pocket. Top and bottom are padded.For added fun, a few paper accessories (just like in the film) are included, just to get you started! ๐Ÿ™‚

Here is a link to the Etsy listing

Skull Case on Etsy

Here are a few shots of the just finished case…

 

 

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in awsumgal accessory, desperately seeking susan, madonna, OOAK, Uncategorized No Comments »