Recently, instead of endlessly trolling eBay and the like looking at pretty dolls first thing in the morning, I began doing what I used to do when I got up – sketch. After the coffee of course! Often when I wake up, unrealized and unfettered design ideas are roaming around in my head. If I sketch them soon after waking I can remember most and some of them are even executable! If I wait too long, or look at too many things, the ideas start to fade a little…
Anyway, that’s what I’ve been doing recently and it has been quite fruitful. This next design is one of those early morning sketch sessions. This design is an asymmetrical gown for the Sybarite girls and will be mostly shades of off white, bone, ecru and white. I may use silver as an accent colour, or I may use something more vibrant like orange or red, navy? hmmmm still thinking on that. We’ll see what the design dictates :o)
Here is the original idea sketch, a very rough sketch to be sure….
I began the pattern draft and already it’s a little complicated. Each pattern piece is unique and needs to used right side up!
I then cut a test muslin and realized pretty quickly that it would help to number the muslin pieces…..
Muslins are an invaluable tool especially when the pattern is complicated. You can draw right on them and make the adjustments you need, recut and resew until it looks exactly like what you have in mind.
So here it is on my Trapeze, inside out so that I can make seam adjustments. As you can see, I had to add some fabric to the skirt side to have the hemline I was going for. This is only part of the bodice and the upper part of the skirt. The lower part of the gown has yet to be plotted along with the other half of the bust….
(Despite the unfinished state of the muslin, I think Trapeze looks rather fetching in her ~Shine!~ wig :o)
That’s all for today…..
Thanks for reading :o)